Hi Folks. Just want to send a message out thanking you for “extending grace” when I went on a rant a few weeks ago (Spano). I don’t want to detract from the anti-trafficking movement so in hindsight I should have kept quiet. So thanks for allowing ”me to be me” at the time. For the record… there is NO ONE involved in any of the 2 conferences I have attended who has offended me. I want to make that clear up front.
As you will read… I have gone to many LGBT Affirming conferences where people bonded… we went into small groups etc. This what not the nature of the 2 anti sex trafficking conferences I attended. I understand that there are privacy issues and such so I am not saying there is anything wrong with the way they were run. But please read this letter as a way to get to know me better. Thanks.
Let me give you a perspective on having a Transgender son among evangelicals. Pure hell. Perspective… I adopted Billy and Jack at 9 months. I am divorced now but have a phenomenal relationship with Carol (my ex) who is in Pa. My kids live near me in Boca Raton.
(1) I used to go to a very conservative church in Pa (Assemblies of God) who told me about Alan Chambers of Exodus International (in Orlando… is it where we have been meeting? The Calvary in Winter Park?) and how I could “pray the gay (or Trans)” out of Billy. I then became involved with “LGBT Affirmation” conferences nation wide as support for Billy. Alan Chambers (if you follow this) claimed that he has never once changed anyone’s orientation. He stated this at one of these conferences… the Gay Christian Network led by Justin Lee. Justin lee and I both graduated from Wake Forest. I am FB friends with Alan Chambers now. He has kept his marriage together which is a great choice if that is what they choose (along with their adopted kids).
(2) I was told by church people that I was “being a friend” to Billy and “not a father.”
(3) I had one guy ask me my opinion of anal sex and homosexuality. To be honest, the church in many ways is still a house of mirrors. Some say they are accepting and in their heart are not. 80 % of evangelicals voted for Trump and still support him. This is the President who had a “brain fart” and banned transgenders from the military (to pander to evangelicals). He then “doubled down” recently by banning those with gender dysphoria. ZERO OUTCRY. So (surprise! Surprise!) I will stand up for my child even if others won’t or if they simply don’t care.
(4) I know exactly where I stand with “conservative Christians” and for this reason I am incensed by people like Spano who tries to push his brand of Christianity down my throat. I am not “pro porn” by any stretch (in fact I am fighting it if you read my blog). But I refuse to have a bigot push his morality down my throat… the same day he voted for “no debate” on assault rifles and wants handguns in church (this is an issue he is focusing on?” I mean… are you kidding me?) And I still stand by my take on his story (on the House floor in Tallahassee) of his great grandfather jumping on a ship from Italy to America as (A) The biggest piece of fiction I have ever heard, or (B) a story of severe and profound child abuse that would have a little kid jump on a ship to get away from his family.
(5) I became very involved in the “LGBT Affirmation within the church” conferences nation-wide. Justin Lee and Matthew Vines (Harvard) ran the conferences… if you have heard of them. I have a web site still up that is called LGBTWOW.com with some really scholarly presentations (and a lot of my sarcasm/satire…that will never go away). It presents scripture IN CONTEXT that every Christian should read. It is material gleaned from the conferences. (For instance, did you know that being gay (as an orientation) was not a “thing” until 1892? Every Bible scripture (6 in all) that refers to acts of same sex behavior… demonstrates some sort of deviance from what was then considered the heterosexual norm (instances of rape, pederasty, power, excessive lust). Victors would even sodomize their vanquished foes to further humiliate them.
(6) At these conferences I met some of the fugitives from Uganda who sought refuge in the U.S. because of the “Kill the Homos” bill they passed in that country. Prominent gay people were pictured on news covers with instructions to kill them.
(7) Do you want to know who the most prolific “gay hater” is now? He lives in Orlando. His name is Matt Staver (Liberty Counsel) and he used to run Liberty law school. He and his wife, also from the law school, are a gay hating team. Matt Staver (along with Mike Huckabee) was the one standing next to the Kentucky clerk who refused to give out marriage certificates to gay couples (see below). The Stavers’ only purpose is to hate. They call it “sincerely held religious beliefs.” Am I the only one smart enough to realize that if this becomes “law,” then we must grant EVERY religion to do what they sincerely believe. Are we prepared for the Satanists?
(8) At the conferences I became very close to a transgender male (born female). I remember talking to him (someone beside my trans child) and after 10 minutes the “trans part of him” melted away (meaning I didn’t see him in that way). It was important for me as I saw Eli (Eli Roe) as fully human and both very brilliant and fascinating. Months later he killed himself. I drove 3 hours to State College (where Penn State is located) for the funeral (see below). You never know what level of bigotry is going to push someone past their limit. This may help understand my “push back” against Spano who (those at Abolitionist conference can concur) informed us that his “porn is a health risk” bill is part of a bigger agenda. I want no part of his agenda. I would rather have porn than have Spano tell me what is “heathy” in his Christian cult world as he arms himself for church.
(9) About 5 yrs ago I went to Liberty University (on line) for a Masters in Divinity and left because of the homophobia. I was incredibly naïve at the time. I thought that a university setting would be more open.
(10) I transferred to another college in Arizona (on line) when one night in a chat room I was bullied. “It’s Adam and Eve… not Adam and Steve.” That sort of stuff. The administration was actually kind. When they saw what was posted about my child they offered me a full refund which I accepted.
(11) The new “hate book” out know is “When Harry became Sally.” Its clever title is giving it traction. The author (a political science PhD at the Heritage Foundation) claims that the very best thing we can do to transgenders is to hate them… humiliate them… disparage them… and call them frauds. He claims it is a mental illness… which of course only makes him that much meaner.
(12) I can tell you this. Billy and I both have developed laser-like “gay-dar.” I can often tell if someone is gay in less than 5 seconds (it is not something I am necessarily proud of… just a skill I have attained w an LGBT child.) Jack, the identical twin of Billy, is cisgender (straight). The most “determining factor” for LGBT orientation is becoming known by actual scientists (not Evangelical frauds) is hormones in the womb. This makes sense with my kids because they had different “womb” experiences. Billy was taking too much food from the umbilical chord and they were induced labor early.
(13) Anyway… back to the “gay-dar” thing . Like Pastor Haggard… who I truly feel sorry for (the church banned him from the state of Colorado at the time… they can do that?)… the most intense LGBT haters are fighting it in themselves.
When I saw the picture of this author and heard him speak. No doubt. Closet gay spewing hate. So being a defender of my child, and being a fighter… I called him out on it. Through Facebook. The next day he had pictures up of his “beard”… his wife and their wedding. LOL
Last thing I want to mention about the Abolitionist conference. Spano was there to speak about the sex trafficking bill. He, on his own, went off into other areas assuming everyone was an Evangelical like him. I am Christian. Evangelicals make up only 25 per cent of Christians. They are very loud and do the church great harm.
I obviously have a problem with people that want to classify my child as a lower class of human. The people I have met thus far in Orlando would check most or all the boxes. So that is a good thing.
Let’s see how evangelicals rank on a litmus test that would represent their standing on the instruction to “love thy neighbor.” The moral arc of evangelicals is against inclusion and towards enmity.
SPANO (red = where he falls short)