WBTRUTH

Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Futility of the "try harder" faith


Do you constantly judge yourself for not having “enough” faith? Is your faith not strong enough? Especially around Christmas?




Well relax. Usually by “strong faith” we mean a faith that has more certainty. Taken to the extreme… a faith with “perfect certainty” is no longer faith. It would be a belief. Just like you believe the chair you are sitting in will hold you. It is a matter of fact. It is a belief.




Genuine faith includes doubt. This puts to rest those nagging spiritual quandaries spinning in our heads such as...
1)   How much doubt can I have before I lose my salvation?
2)   How much faith do I need to spread the Word to others – including my family?
3)   If my child isn’t healed properly – will I lose my faith?
4)   If my faith is stronger (more certain), will I be in a better place with God when I die?

Courage is taking a risk in spite of fears. Faith is making a commitment in spite of doubts. It is not about striving for certainty. In fact, this practice can be dangerous because people give up when the "certainty bar" is raised too high. 

Let God do His work in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment